General Doula Information:
The Essential Ingredient: Doula – A film about doulas created by DONA International
- DONA International Guide to Hiring a Doula – This is a great resource to help you in your doula hiring process. Includes a list of questions to ask potential doulas.
- Benefits of a Doula by DONA International – A nice, basic overview of the benefits of hiring a doula for your birth.
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin – The most thorough resource available by one of the founding creators of DONA International. This book covers it all: stages of labor, how mom might feel/act, how her partner and doula might support her, pain management techniques, medication information, and more. If you’re planning a hospital birth, this book is especially helpful.
- Birthing From Within by Pam England CNM, MA & Rob Horowitz PhD – Much focus is given to the physical and medical sides of childbirth, but the spiritual and emotional part of the journey is often neglected. Birthing From Within uses art, journaling, meditation, and thought exercises to help families work through fears, challenge expectations, and wrap their heads and hearts around the incredible event they’re about to take part in.
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin – Helpful especially for the positive and lovely birth stories at the beginning, as well as practical advice for laboring women (get excited about the sphincter reflex!).